Joel BurgessAirport Director
Joel Burgess joined F3 Airport in 2021 as Director of the Muskegon County Airport, a FAR 139 commercial service airport in West Michigan. Joel’s role at Muskegon is to be a champion for the airport in the community and region and to maintain compliance with all Federal Aviation and Department of Homeland Security regulations. Prior to his role with F3, Joel served as Director of Operations at Savannah Hilton Head International Airport in Savannah, GA.
Joel brings nearly 30 years of aviation experience to F3 Airport, ranging from corporate and general aviation flight operations, commercial airline station leadership, airport operations, emergency management, economic development, and risk management. In addition to the Savannah Hilton Head International Airport, Joel served in various management and leadership positions at the Gerald R. Ford International Airport, Kalamazoo Battle Creek International Airport, and the Raleigh Durham International Airport.
Joel earned his Bachelor of Science at Western Michigan University, as well as a Mousters (yes you read that correctly) degree in Management and Business Applications from the Walt Disney World training and accreditation program. Joel also received certification from the Kent County Michigan LEADership program. He also actively participates on the Risk Management and Air Cargo Committees with Airports Council International and served on various community and educational advisory boards.
Areas of Expertise
- Corporate & General Aviation Flight Operations
- Commercial Airline Station Leadership
- Airport Operations
- Emergency Management
- Economic Development
- Risk Management
- Client/Tenant Relations
Education and Accreditation
- Bachelor of Science at Western Michigan University
- Mousters degree in Management and Business Applications from the Walt Disney World Training and Accreditation Program
- Certification from the Kent County Michigan LEADership program
- Active participation on the Risk Management and Air Cargo Committees with Airports Council International
- Served on various community and educational advisory boards
- Private pilot’s license
- Certified Member (C.M.) of the American Association of Airport Executives